Clean eating seems to be quite trendy these days. Social media has definitely helped this movement in educating all of us of what clean eating is and of the toxins we consume daily in processed, refined, and contaminated foods.
When I discovered clean eating, it changed my life. Almost 2 years ago I decided my family needed to change….clean eating was the change we needed. We were spending way too much money eating out, buying foods out of the frozen section, and blindly eating everything in site. I decided I needed to step up and fight for my family, it was time to start meal planning and prepping and clean eating. I knew it was going to be tough, finding the time was a challenge, but I was willing to sacrifice a little bit of sleep and down time to give my family what they deserved….home cooked, FRESH, clean eating!
I started planning our menu on Saturday afternoons so that grocery shopping was quick and easy (on a budget). I set the alarm early on Sunday (yes the only day I get to “sleep in”) and I am at the grocery store by 7 am, I am home and in the kitchen prepping veggies and cooking protein by 8:30 am. It took about 4 weeks to get a system down of what pans I could reuse without washing for which veggies which also adds flavor. I would cook 4-5 meals ahead of time, so my husband could just throw it in the oven to heat it up, and a HEALTHY delicious clean eating meal would be ready for my family by the time I got home from work.
Prior to this clean eating change, I was sick and didn’t even know it. It amazes me how we don’t know how bad we feel until we feel good. I started having more energy, sleeping better, I am able to push myself harder in my workouts, and HAVE FUN! I don’t get that 3pm crash, I jump out of bed at 4am just about everyday. And my digestion has changed my life! No more bloating! I didn’t think that was even possible. I do not have any diagnosed gluten or dairy allergies, however, since I have decreased the amount of processed foods, dairy and gluten in our diets….I can definitely tell when I consume foods with these in them. I get irritable, sleepy, bloated, and my digestion is OFF!!
When dealing with my clients, I don’t expect a 360 degree change immediately. We talk about changing one thing at a time, pick one vice and stick with that change for 60-90 days…until you feel you have it under control. Whether it be something you need to eliminate such as: soda, candy, fried food, lunches out; or something you need to add, such as: breakfast every morning, snacks, veggies, etc.
This will create a lifestyle change, not a quick fix!
What is clean eating?
Clean eating is simply eating as close to the ground as you can. Foods that are ALIVE! Full of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, without preservative, fillers, binders, and chemicals! Imagine that….eating food that actually gives you LIFE.
The saying you are what you eat makes me giggle. The truth of the matter is that what you put in your body ultimately leads to how you look. You can either fuel your body with healthy foods like fruits, veggies, lean protein, and good fats that will keep you slim and trim OR you can stuff your face with fattening foods filled with sugar, calories, and simple carbs.
The 80/20 PLan
Choose to live a better life for your body, your mind, and your family! I choose to eat 80/20 or better each and everyday. Through the choices I have been making over the past 2 years I have had the privilege to hear Lindsey Duncan, world renounced naturopath and nutritionist speak on numerous occasions.
He states that if we can eat a B+ diet of healthy clean foods we are doing pretty good for our bodies….but why not shoot for A to A+! And if we mess up every now and then, that’s ok…we just need to try harder the next day. This also should be followed by cleansing and exercising to offset the damage we have just created.
The 80/20 principle is simple – eating clean 80% of the time and leaving the other 20% for special occasions, dates, parties – life. That means no guilt, self-flagellation, or “backsliding.” It provides structure and a goal to strive for while giving you choices.
PLAN PLAN PLAN
The easiest way to stick with change and ultimately create a lifestyle change is planning, prepping, and setting small goals. Focus on 60-90 days at a time, it will get easier and easier as you go and as you start feeling better.
YOU GOT THIS!